Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Jackson Valance for my Office

 

Finished Valance

     I bought the fabric (at Loomcraft) for the valance and the finials (from Rowley) to hang it several years ago.  I decided it was time to finally make it.  

Getting started

Window before

     I started by figuring out what size to make the flat sections.  I wanted the right finial to be centered in the space between the corner and the window moulding.  I took the measurement and added it to the other side of the window and just my finished width.  Since I was making four sections, I divided by 4 and that was the finished width of the flat sections.  

Tulip fabric

Centering the flower

     The two fabrics I had bought were a large print of tulips and a solid grey.  I centered a large tulip in the middle of each flat section.

One cut section

     I had to make a decision of whether I wanted them all the same or if I wanted to use different tulips.  I opted to use two different tulips, one light and one dark, and alternate them.  I also opted to use the grey fabric as the lining for the valance.

Ready to sew together

     After cutting all the pieces, I sewed them together.  I then made ties from the grey fabric and sewed them to the top of the horns before I added the lining.  

Pressing the ties

Sewing the ties

     I used my bias tape maker to press the fabric before sewing the ties.  I did not make tues of fabric and try to turn them as they do not show when the valance is hung.  The cascades on the sides were sewn separately.  

Training the cascades

          I used my jumbo Wonder Clips to train the folds before hanging them.  I did play with the horns being on the inside or outside of the flat section.  I liked them better on the outside.  One of the pictures on the pattern envelope showed one to the front with the other two to the back.  That would have bothered me. :-)

Measuring to install

     Then my trusty installer, aka dear hubby, measured for the placement of the finials and got them installed on the wall.  I then hung the valance and dressed it.  I really like how it turned out.  Just the right amount of pattern without color overwhelming the room.

Center horn detail

Cascade detail

     The second photo shows the true color.  It took me a while to get this going but I'm so glad I finally took the time to work on it.








No comments:

Post a Comment