Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Pillow Remake Part 1

Recovered pillows

     A friend brought me several pillows that she wanted recovered.  The corduroy fabric she brought was fairly thick so I didn't think I was going to have to add a lining, then I opened one up!

Feathers!!

     Feathers everywhere!  I did my best vacuuming them off but they were still poking out everywhere.  That is when I decided that I would add lining to the fabric.  I didn't want those feathers poking anyone.

Adding lining

     I serged a heavy-weight lining to the back of all the fabric pieces.  When I cut the pieces for the front and back, I tapered the corners to get rid of the dog-ears.  My client didn't want zippers, so that meant I had to hand sew close all the pillows.

Misshapen pillows

     The pillows before were somewhat misshapen.  When I opened up the two smaller pillows, I found that the covers were put on over old covers.

Cover inside the cover

     When I removed that fabric I found a big lump of batting/stuffing.  I pulled it apart to fluff it up and then added some poly-cluster pillow filling inside to fill it out more.

Wad from inside

      Only one pillow had covered cord and she requested that stay the same.  I had to do the pillows one at a time because I needed to keep the mess at a minimum.  I vacuumed at least twice with each pillow that I did.  My new policy will be no feather pillows except for new ones.  I had feathers everywhere and also felt like I was starting to have an allergic reaction to it all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment