Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

2017 Christmas Stockings Part 2

Hooped using the under-the-hoop method


     I had a client call me looking to re-do the name on a Christmas stocking.  I told her I could and that she could save a lot of money by removing the stitching of the old name herself.

     She did remove the stitching, leaving a couple of small holes.  She remarked that it was really difficult and I agreed with her.  Removing the stitches of a design is not easy and sometimes can't be done or it damages the item.  I prefer a client to do it so I don't have that liability.

Stitching the name

     I added some iron-on interfacing on the back of the cuff as it had multiple holes.  This added some body but also a smoother back surface.  Because of how the cuff was attached to the stocking I couldn't remove it for easier hooping.  I chose the under the hoop method to do the embroidery.

     I hooped a piece of heavy cutaway stabilizer and then cut a window for the embroidery.  I then pinned the stocking underneath and slipped it over the bobbin arm of the embroidery machine.  I had to be sure to rotate the name so it stitched in the correct orientation.

Finished

     If you look closely you can still see the outline of the first name that was stitched but otherwise it turned out exactly like the client wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment