Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2017 Christmas Stockings Part 1


Original stocking

     This past Christmas I had three different stocking projects.  The first was to make three stockings to match an original one as much as possible.  The client could not find velvet fabric in the shade of red and green she wanted so she bought a double face quilted cotton.

Base stocking

  I used a pattern I had from Embroidery Library that was very similar in size and shape.  I cut two outer pieces and two lining pieces for each stocking.  Even though the quilted fabric was finished on both sides I like a contrast lining for the stocking, looks more finished I think.

Lining

     I sewed the lining pieces together with right sides and then the same with the outer pieces.  I then just tucked the lining into the outer stocking with wrong sides facing and basted around the top.

Finished cuff

     I bought some plain cotton fabric to match the quilted one and also some cord that had a lip on it so I could sew it into the bottom of the cuff.  The client had bought a pretty twist cord but it didn't have a lip.  I tried couching it down with an invisible thread and also a matching thread but neither of those worked.
     For the cuff, I embroidered the name on one piece and then added an iron-on batting to give it more body.  Then I sewed the cord in place along the bottom and then added the back part of the cuff.  Turned in right side out and basted the raw edges together.

Separating the cord from the lip

     To make the hanging loop, I removed the lip from the twist cord and just used that for the loop.  I basted it in place and then added the cuff.

Hanging loop basted on

     The cuff was placed inside the stocking with the right side of the cuff to the lining.  I added a couple of pins and then just stitched the circle.

Cuff pinned in place
   
     I then flipped the cuff to the outside and the raw edges are all hidden under the cuff.  I usually serge or overlock stitch the seam so it looks nicer.

Finished stockings

     Three finished stockings for the new family members, matching as closely as possible to the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment